Work Permit

Work Permit

A foreign national must apply for a work permit in order to be allowed to work in Canada.

  • Spousal Open Work Permit

Full-time students’ spouses or common-law partners may apply for an open work permit if they have a valid study permit. The international student’s spouse or common-law partner can work if they have an open work permit. Your spouse or partner can apply without a job offer, and his or her permit will be good for the same amount of time as your study permit. This is a great way for your spouse or common-law partner to get involved in the neighbourhood, obtain useful work experience, and make some additional cash. It is also possible to apply for spouse work permit at the same time applying for your initial study permit outside of canada.

  • LMIA

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker or permanent resident is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter. Once an employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

Women working on some papers
Outside view from office window
Girl standing with dairy

Worker Class

• Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), foreign workers are generally required to have a genuine job offer from a Canadian employer who has obtained an LMIA and a work permit.
The program objective is to assist employers who have demonstrated a need to fill jobs for which there are no qualified Canadians.

• International Mobility Program (IMP)
Temporary workers under the International Mobility Program (IMP), for example business workers, may or may not require a work permit depending on the reason and type of work to be performed, and there is generally an exemption for the employer from having to obtain an LMIA. This is because the objectives of the two programs are distinct, and consequently so are the program requirements. The program objective is to advance and enhance Canadas broad economiciand cultural national interests.

• Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
Students can receive an open work permit through the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) Program after graduating from qualifying Canadian designated learning institutions (DLIs) and gaining meaningful Canadian work experience. Depending on the length of the study programme, a post-graduation work visa may be granted for a minimum of 8 months and a maximum of 3 years.

For those looking to gain valuable work experience while studying, obtaining a work permit is essential. At Pitch Immigration, we provide comprehensive assistance with the process, ensuring that you can legally work in Canada while pursuing your education. Our expert guidance helps you navigate the requirements, making it easier to balance your academic and professional goals.